Outsourced IT or In-house IT Support: What’s Better for Your Business?
If you’re operating a growing business, you’re bound to face challenges related to your technology. You will reach a point (if you haven’t already) where you’re going to have to choose whether to staff your own IT department or reach for the IT outsourcing experts.
Which is better for you? Let’s look at the pros and cons of each.
In-house IT Support
Internal IT support refers to any IT-related positions within your organization that solely work to help your organization succeed with technology. That includes IT help desk technicians, server engineers, network architects – you name it.
- A local team of people that have plenty of face-to-face time with the rest of your staff
- Can be trained to suit your exact needs and know your IT infrastructure inside and out
- More control over the quality of work that the IT department produces for you
- Cost of training, salary, benefits, and bonuses can rapidly rack up costs for SMBs
- Technicians must proactively seek additional certifications and training as tech evolves
- May not be available for emergencies or after-hours work without an additional bonus
Did You Know? 51% of small-business owners cite time as the single biggest obstacle to adopting new technologies, and 18% say a lack of understanding is their greatest barrier.
Outsourced IT Support
This type of support refers to any external IT team that helps you with IT support or services. They might work remotely or face-to-face with you, depending on your situation.
- Flat-rate fee gives you a predictable IT budget without any bonuses or suprise costs
- Access to a cutting-edge team of IT experts that specialize in all kinds of tech
- 24/7 support offered to keep your business running around the clock without pause
- Lack of intimate knowledge with your team can make remote support seem detached
- It’s not always easy to find a good IT support provider that fits your needs
- Response time may be quick, but it can’t always beat an in-house team that’s right there
IT Support for Your Business
Many businesses have a tough time deciding between the two.
Do you want the fast, friendly, and more personal touch of an in-house team? Or do you prefer the more efficient, cost-effective, and cutting-edge support of a dedicated outsourced IT team?
Here’s a little secret – both can live in harmony.
Growing businesses seldom have black and white technology needs. Your in-house IT team may be perfect for completing day-to-day tasks, but they might not be cut out for major IT infrastructure upgrades.
Check the Facts: 42% of small businesses expect to increase their IT related expenses this year.
Conversely, your outsourced team might excel at office relocations, but they might not be a cost-effective choice for jammed desk printers.
Granted, it’s a pickle. But here’s what we recommend.
Hybrid IT Support
When you notice a gap in your IT support, you need to fill it. Period. End of story.
If you don’t, you’ll notice a wave of issues like pesky downtime, lost ROI, and even reputational damage. It’s up to you to understand if that gap should be filled with an in-house technician or an outsourced IT specialist.
And psst… you’re currently reading a blog written by Total IT – an outsourced IT services and support organization filled to the brim with IT experts.
If you ask the pros (that’s us), we’ll tell you that it just depends on your specific needs.
Outsourced IT specialists can supplement in-house teams. Our organization is versatile, which is why we offer different IT services and support to meet your needs and seamlessly integrate to become an extension of your IT team.
You might need the full package of day-to-day managed IT support. Maybe you only need niche cybersecurity specialists. Or, you might be looking for guidance on where to take your technology next to achieve business growth.
We’re here to openly talk about your IT needs and how we can help you grow in whatever way works best for you. You can always reach out to us.
That’s what we’re here for, after all.